Sedation Dentistry An Overview
What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation Dentistry is an option for people to receive necessary dental care in the most comfortable, relaxed manner using very safe and effective medications. Sedation Dentistry is more than just taking a pill before your appointment at Boulder Valley Dental Center. The first and most important step in the process is providing you a welcoming, warm, caring and personalized atmosphere from the moment we pick up the phone to meeting you in our office. We take the time you need to tell us about the story of your past experiences. We understand your fears, anxieties and concerns about having to go through the emotional process of receiving dental treatment.
Our entire team is hired and trained to provide the most judgment-free zone a dental office can provide. We take time to establish a relationship of trust with you. It’s only AFTER all that you then experience the benefits of Sedation Dentistry…without fear, without pain and without anxiety.
Dr. Tracey Hughes has been providing Sedation Dentistry for over 12 years. She is extremely understanding of everyone’s unique situation and has worked with hundreds of sedation patients, all with different stories of fears and anxieties which she has helped them overcome.
Is Sedation Dentistry right for me?
- Are you afraid of going to the dentist?
- Do you avoid going to the dentist even though you know you need dental treatment done?
- Are you terrified of needles?
- Do you often cancel your dental appointment because you just dread going?
- Have you had a bad physically or emotionally traumatic dental experiences in the past?
- Have you been away from the dentist for many years and have extensive dental needs?
- Do you experience difficulty getting numb, or staying numb once the dentist has started drilling?
- Has dental work been painful for you in the past?
- Do you have a seriously bad gag reflex?
- Do you have a complex dental need?
- Is your time extremely valuable or do you not have a lot of time available for several dental
If you answered “yes” to any of the above, then you would benefit from Sedation Dentistry!
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
During your appointment, you will be given medication to maintain a comfortable and relaxed sate the entire time while dental work is completed. Throughout the appointment, you will doze on and off, but you will be able to answer questions and be able to respond to directions by your Colorado sedation dentist, Dr. Tracey Hughes. Be ready to experience the many benefits of Sedation Dentistry. You will be extremely relaxed, comfortable and experience minimal to no discomfort, the numbing process is very predictable and effective, and you will have very little to no gag response during your sedation dentistry appointment. When the procedure is complete, you will have very little to no memory of the appointment and it will feel like time has gone by very fast!
“I’m scared of the dentist!” It’s Dr. Hughes’ mission to make you feel calm and cared for during your treatment.
Do any of these characteristics apply to you?
- Sensitive gag reflex?
- Fear of needles and shots?
- Embarrassment of the current condition of your teeth and gums?
- Bad dental experiences in the past?
- Discomfort of sights, sounds and smells in the dental office?
- The need to complete complex or multiple treatments in one appointment because you just don’t have time for a lot of dental visits?
- Just reading this list makes your heart race and palms sweat?
Eliminating your dental fears; Our dental office in Louisville, CO has made a commitment to learn the safest and most effective techniques in sedation dentistry. Oral sedation can help you relax and allow you to accomplish your treatment in fewer visits, with no pain & little to no memory of the experience.
Even if you are experiencing dental phobia, we completely understand your fears. It’s our mission at Boulder Valley Dental to create a safe, judgement-free zone for anyone feeling vulnerable to dental anxiety. Because of this, Dr. Hughes will personally contact you to answer any questions or concerns you may have prior to your first visit in our office.
What is Oral Sedation Dentistry?
Oral sedation is as simple as taking a pill the night before bed and another pill right before your appointment.
- Take a pill the night before your treatment and a second pill about an hour before your treatment in our office.
- The pill will send you into a deep relaxation while you rest comfortably with cozy blankets to bring you to a deep, uninhibited state.
- You can respond to our questions, but will feel next to nothing.
- Your blood pressure, pulse and oxygen level is monitored throughout the entire appointment for any signs of stress or concern.
- Time will pass by quickly where hours will feel like minutes.
- You’ll have little to no memory of the entire procedure.
What are the benefits of Oral Sedation Dentistry?
- Deep Relaxation
- The most comfortable dental experience possible
- Very little to no memory of your treatment
- Fewer appointments necessary. Often we can complete your entire treatment in one single visit.
Sedation Dentistry What to Expect
Five Simple Steps to Sedation Dentistry
- You will meet with Dr. Hughes to develop a relationship of trust with her. She will ask you many questions to get to know you and start the process of helping you through the emotional challenges of completing dental care. Our office is a safe, judgement free zone. You will decide with Dr. Hughes on the best dental care plan to achieve the goals you have for the health of your mouth and/or esthetic desires you have.
- Once your dental care plan is finalized, Dr. Hughes will provide you a prescription to fill your anti-anxiety/sedation medications at the pharmacy. She will give you specific instructions on what medication to take and what time. You will likely be instructed to take 1 anti-anxiety pill the night before the appointment to help you get a better night’s sleep. You will also be given specific instructions to ensure you will have an extremely safe and comfortable sedation dental experience.
- On the morning of your appointment, you will take a second anti-anxiety pill an hour before you come into the office. Your companion will drive you to our office and you will bring the remaining pills with you to the office for Dr. Hughes to administer during your visit to achieve the optimal level of sedation for you to comfortably complete your dental care in the most relaxed state.
- The last step: your companion will drive you home, you will take a little nap, wake up with a beautiful, healthy smile… and have very little memory of even being in the dental office!
- Enjoy feeling looking forward to your routine dental visits twice a year because you have overcome your fear of dentistry with Dr. Tracey Hughes and Sedation Dentistry!
Sedation Dentistry changes people’s lives!
Watch this video of one of Dr. Hughes patient’s life changing experiences: