Tracey Hughes, DDS

Home Care Instructions after LANAP (Laser Gum Therapy)

HOME CARE INSTRUCTIONS

After Laser (LANAP) Treatment

• Vitamins, dietary supplements, or medications may be prescribed to improve your overall health. Take any prescribed medication according to directions.
  • Dental laser procedures result in little or no discomfort following surgery.  Take prescribed pain medications according to instructions if needed.
  • Carefully avoid chewing food in the areas of the mouth where the laser has been used.  One of the most important results of laser surgery is the healing that occurs following the initial procedure.  It is extremely important not to dislodge the tiny clots (scabs) that form in the gums.
  • Daily Care

Only brush the chewing surfaces of the treated teeth gently for the first two weeks following surgery.  Do not brush along the gums on the surgical side.  Rinse with ½ oz. Peridex for 60 seconds twice daily (in the morning after breakfast and at bedtime).

Use Peridex until bottle is empty.

During the first three days drink liquids only. A liquid dietary supplement may be recommended.  Gradually increase to soft foods diet for the next two weeks.  After that, you may then add back your regular diet choices.

Do not floss for 2 weeks.  When you begin flossing after this time frame, carefully place the floss between the teeth and avoid pushing the floss under the gums until instructed to do so.

The length of time it takes for the gums to heal depends upon the severity of the disease.  Most healing in the surface areas takes 2 – 4 weeks. Deeper pocket areas may take from 6-9 months to completely heal.

Oral Hygiene Timeline

1. Liquid Diet for 3 days
  2. Mushy consistency Diet for 2-3 weeks
  3. Manual extra soft toothbrush for 2-3 weeks
  4. Resume normal diet after 2-4 weeks
  5. Resume flossing above the gumline after 4 weeks healing
  6. Electric TB usage after 6 weeks healing
  7. Oral Irrigator ie. Waterpik usage after 6 months of healing

Dr. Tracey Hughes

Boulder Valley Dental

303-666-8820

LANAP, Laser Gum Therapy, Osseous surgery, Periodontal surgery

Like this article? Tell someone about it.

12 Responses

1. Tara
    Tara
    May 6, 2011 at 12:20 pm |

I found this page very helpful as a reminder. I just had the procedure done May 2nd and am having a hard time finding mushy foods. It would be helpful if this site gave a basic list of do’s and dont’s in the food department. Thanks for this posting

2. Silvia
    Silvia
    May 31, 2012 at 3:28 am |

Hi, I had Lanap done 9 days ago. I was told to brush/floss superficially after 1 week for the next 3 weeks using Periogard Rinse. Is it normal to bleed in some area while brushing/flossing 9 days after Lanap? I’m being careful and using a soft bristle brush. I’m being careful about not dislodging the blood clots but bleed a little bit still. Thank you.

3. justin
    justin
    August 3, 2012 at 10:23 am |

Just got it done yesterday and they instructed me to brush and floss roughly but it hurts to much….any advise

4. Asha
    Asha
    August 23, 2012 at 7:15 am |

I have been told by my dentist that I have advanced periodontal disease and experiencing severe bone loss. He also told me that bone grafting is of no use for me as the bone level is flat. I really didnot take care of my teeth for last 2 years. I am not going to blame anything but myself. I am really depressed. I am regretting now. One front tooth is shaking. My dentist suggested LANAP treatment for me. He also told me that he will give splints for the shaking teeth and my lower teeth as the gum level is really low on those teeth. I know my condition is very pathetic. Please suggest me what to do next.

5. Aubrey
    Aubrey
    May 3, 2013 at 10:33 pm |

I wasn’t told to not brush my teeth, but just a second ago I was using a tool to get food out of your teeth and the gray stuff on my gums started to rub off. Is this bad? I got the treatment done yesterday.

6. Dr. Tracey Hughes
    May 28, 2013 at 7:11 am |

Aubrey,
    It is crucial that you not brush for 2 weeks because it could possibly remove the very important whitish/gray “scab” from which the tissues heal. This scab replaces the stitches in traditional surgery. You should have been given a mouthrinse to use 2-3 times daily in place of brushing.
    If you are ever unsure about your post treatment instructions, I recommend you contact your LANAP dentist.

7. Donna Duckman
    Donna Duckman
    August 2, 2013 at 8:03 pm |

I can feel a piece of “scab”hanging loose. I am trying not to dislodge it. According to the above post the scab should stay on for 2 weeks for the necessary healing to take place. Don’t know if this scab is going to make it. Seems like there should be some way to reattach , like a bandaid of sorts if the attachment loosens. ?? See you in a few days.

8. Bva
    Bva
    August 27, 2013 at 11:55 am |

Hi,

I have done LANAP one week ago. I have not brush and floss that side of my mouth for one week. Today, I visited my dentist and she showed me how to use soft small brush in between teeth. I got bleeding when she did with my teeth. Is it normal? As far as I know LANAP procedure will stop bleeding the gums. But I got bleeding on all the teeth when she tried using tiny soft brush. Please advice.

9. elizabeth
    October 1, 2013 at 7:43 am |

Thank you for your question. First of all you shouldn’t be putting anything between you teeth. The extra soft bristle toothbrush is to be used to massage the gum after 2 weeks. If you have bleeding your dentist should be checking your bite to see if there is any forces on those teeth. Bleeding isn’t normal. Did you recieve a list of when to start brushing eating etc? You can call us if you have any further questions. 303-666-8820.